Stupid question

StayClassy
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Nebraska

Stupid question

Postby StayClassy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:26 am

I'm almost positive the answer is going to be "It's a 500 dollar car, who cares?". But I have a question on lifting shitboxes, how does it not put the a-arm angles and alignment way off? Wouldn't that be a safety issue? I've never been super familiar with suspension work and am wanting to get into this, so if there's a secret or just a method I don't know, I'd like to learn it.
Gest Gibby
kitten
Local Gambler Location: SoCal

Re: Stupid question

Postby Gest Gibby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:14 am

It's a $500 car, who cares?
Just kiddng, kinda....what car are you planning on shit-boxing?
Vice Chancellor of the Gambler 500 SoCal (unless there is something wrong)
Gibby
Monster Rallye-BMW
StayClassy
kitten

Postby StayClassy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Gest Gibby wrote:It's a $500 car, who cares?
Just kiddng, kinda....what car are you planning on shit-boxing?

I walked into that one. I've got this 1988 MB 190D that I've been trying to figure out what to do with.
Skidmark
kitten
Local Gambler Location: OR, WA, ID

Postby Skidmark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Lifts aren't too complicated. If you have A-arm front suspension, use taller springs, or lift blocks. Then add shims to your upper A-arm to straighten the camber out. Longer shocks are suggested.
If you have struts up front, use spacers on top of the struts. Adjust your camber with the cam bolt on the lower strut mount, and done.
Rear leafs, you can add a leaf, or a spacer, but be careful not to fuck up your pinion angle too much, or it will eat u-joints.
Rear coils, you can use either taller springs, or spacers, again, watch the pinion angle on RWD cars.
Longer shocks are suggested again for rear suspension lifts.
Most cars have enough adjustment to get it back into alignment, as long as you don't go too high. The only safety issue is you have now raised the center of gravity of your shitbox, so it will tip over easier.
One more thing. You'll have to either lengthen your sway bar mounts, or do like me, and throw the sway bars away. They hinder articulation.
Flowmastered87GL
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Oregon

Postby Flowmastered87GL » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:51 am

What we commonly do on our Subaru's is when we put the lift block on top of the strut its offset at an angle like this \\ so that it moves the top of the strut inward a bit so that camber and stuff stays at the proper angle. If you move it straight down then you will be way off. Unless you just do a small lift. Camber bolts help too. My lifted Impreza has longer struts in front plus 3/8" spacers. No adjustment was necessary other than longer end links for the sway bar and a standard alignment. The rear was longer struts and spacers too, but I had to use different trailing arm brackets to keep the tire from moving too far forward with the lift as well as taller sway bar mounts. Camber bolts WERE ADDED to the rear to keep stuff in check. A big f-ing hammer is your friend when lifting... often you will have to massage the strut tower area to make the strut and top spacer fit right.
Driver: Team Bunghole
1996 Subaru Impreza Outback. (lifted)
StayClassy
kitten

Postby StayClassy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 am

Would I be better off just cutting the fenders and quarters out and putting on some big tires, at least for my first gambler car?
Gest Gibby
kitten
Local Gambler Location: SoCal

Postby Gest Gibby » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:58 pm

All I have done to my 3 time Gambler, BMW 525i is cut the fenders and put the biggest all terrains on it that I can. Not much ground clearance still but no issues. I just have to drive more carefully than folks who are "sending it!". I am the organizer so I drive like an old lady anyways since I NEED to get to the 1/2 camp and to the end.
Vice Chancellor of the Gambler 500 SoCal (unless there is something wrong)
Gibby
Monster Rallye-BMW
StayClassy
kitten

Postby StayClassy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 am

Gest Gibby wrote:All I have done to my 3 time Gambler, BMW 525i is cut the fenders and put the biggest all terrains on it that I can. Not much ground clearance still but no issues. I just have to drive more carefully than folks who are "sending it!". I am the organizer so I drive like an old lady anyways since I NEED to get to the 1/2 camp and to the end.

I guess that's my answer then, probably less expensive too.

Return to “Fabrication”