Guidelines/Resources/General Info

gnarseeyuh
kitten
Local Gambler Location:

Guidelines/Resources/General Info

Postby gnarseeyuh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 am

Will make this a sticky once I have admin privileges..This is a repost of the announcement that went out over facebook on the SNG500 page. If there are comments and questions that address something that isn't below, I will make sure to add to this as the thread evolves.

Procedure:
8-14 day NWS forecasts will be used as guidance. Interested parties will receive a GPS coordinate 2 weeks in advance in which you will use to meet the crew, organizers and receive a list of the actual coordinates. The first coordinate on that list, is that actual starting point. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE EVENT COORDINATES PRIOR TO ARRIVAL AT THE PRELIMINARY COORDINATE.
All other G500 "rules" apply, so make yourselves familiar with the original page. This includes the honorable bowling ball through your rear window if your rig looks like it cost you WAY over the suggested value and it isn't something awesome, like a unimog, or a panzer or some kind of incredible machine with wheels/treads. Show up in a prerunner that's worth 20k...plan on replacing your rear window. I expect fellow gamblers to back that up.

Where:
The run will take place on the Eastern slope and dip into neighboring ranges. That's all you get. It's your best guess as to the latitude I'll be dragging you all though. Better start downloading maps.
http://data.fs.usda.gov/…/rasterg…/states-regions/states.php is an excellent resource for maps that you can download for free, store offline, and view on anything that supports PDF files.
Here is another resource : http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads

When:
The timing of the Sierra G500 will, like many events that take place outdoors over large swaths of land, will be highly dependent on what the weather is doing. With that said, we are planning on this taking place on a SATURDAY AND SUNDAY between seasons. The fall in the region is too hot to run $500 pieces of shit and the winter is too cold to risk being stranded. We're hoping this will happen AFTER the first set of primer systems that come through, drop temperatures and let everyone know that winter is possible, but BEFORE the first major snowfall, for very obvious reasons. We don't want anyone stranded because of a snowstorm. Will start a weather thread once we get closer so that everyone can watch and be aware of what's going on with the timing.

Advisories:
This will not be, relatively speaking, a mellow run. It would be really really advantageous to have a 4x4 rig, but that's the gamble we speak of. Self support is the name of the game, you need to be ready to survive on your own for a few days if necessary. DO NOT RELY ON ANYONE TO SAVE YOU.

Mandatory gear:
<We are mandating participants carry this shit for one reason, and that reason is because the terrain we plan on going through is highly remote, with the potential for weather that can be very hazardous, if not deadly, for the unprepared. I hate being a nanny, but there will undoubtedly be someone who shows up incredibly unprepared and I don't want his or her well being on my conscious>
-Flare gun. You need an analog rescue device, this is it.
-CB compatible radios. They're on amazon for under $80. While it's an individual-based event, we are all here to help each other succeed. Communication is crucial.
-Recovery equipment. Tow strap/shovel at VERY LEAST. Help the selfless, help you. I'm about 90% sure you will need these at some point or another.
-Emergency fire extinguisher. Cannot emphasize enough the risk of fire and the damage that results from it out here. This is to ensure your rig's malfunction doesn't result in a wildfire. These are cheap and take up little space. A worthy precaution.
<If you don't have these items, you won't get a starting GPS point. Tough shit. It's for your own good. Perhaps if you show up without these things, some generous gamblers will adopt you, and refer to you as "the unprepared," but no guarantees.>

Camp:
Camp will likely take place in a remote area, but that doesn't mean there aren't any rules. Respect the land, respect fellow gamblers, respect neighboring communities (if there are any). Do not show up with a hundred handles of alcohol, do show up with a pony keg of your favorite brewery's beer to share. Make sense? Firewood may be a good idea as well. Haul whatever trash out with you, do not rely on simply burning it, but with that said, I expect an exceptional bonfire out of the Sierra crew. Don't expect anyone to make a camp for you. If there happens to be friends who show up to the camp night only, then that's awesome, but I'd hate for a crew to be miserable because they didn't plan on bringing their own camp stuff. Leave camp looking better than the condition we found it in.

Sierra Rules
This land is sacred to many, especially those of us who call this range home. Don't fuck this up for the event, organizers, participants, locals we come across or the animals who live here. This means you do not ditch or set fire to your shit rig when she fails you. Figure out how to get her to a road and go from there. Zero tolerance for anything fire related- this region has been stressed heavily by drought for the past 4 years and the last thing I'd ever want is a wildfire to start because of our carelessness. So long as we can all respect these ideals, we should be good. Can't respect them- congrats, you will not be invited back, and it will be made sure that fellow chapters know about it.

We'll expand on this as necessary. Share this with interested friends. Pick a solid crew and make sure they know the risks involved. Assuming if you can't make it to the region from where you live, your rig surely wouldn't survive anyhow. Consider the commute to the region your first test. You only have a limited amount of time to get your rig ready, so crews of 4 may be a good idea to get things rolling and moving quickly. We're hoping for ~10 crews for the first annual Sierra G500.

<<<Best of luck. Hoping to start a really good community of interesting, adventurous, creative, hard working and resourceful individuals from around the state of California. The event is about FUN, but keep in mind, if you don't take what I have to say here seriously, the course itself will ensure you don't make it very far... I have told individuals who have contacted me directly that this run, in particular, will be more about teamwork and comradery between crews than individual victories.
Really excited, and I apologize for how little time we all have to prepare, but that makes it all the more fun. First gen shit rigs sure will be interesting, that I know.

I've got faith that everyone who's interested in the SNG500 will be kickass responsible people who don't even really need these guidelines, but I feel better putting it all out there.

Direct questions and concerns and whatnot below the post so others can see them.>>>

/Gnar
Last edited by gnarseeyuh on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
/gnar - Shepherd of the Sierra Shit-Rigs

98 2d XJ 4.0L | 94 ZJ 5.2L co-project | 02 Polaris RMK 800 | 01 XR400 |351W Foxbody sleeper in progress
gonzo
kitten
Local Gambler Location:

Re: Guidelines/Resources/General Info

Postby gonzo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:34 am

Major support for your comments about respecting the land. This is a beautiful but fragile area, and all of us participants need to enforce Leave No Trace practices on ourselves and each other.

We may want to add an emergency fire extinguisher to the list of mandatory equipment, both for our safety and to lower the risk to the land.
gonzo
kitten
Local Gambler Location:

Postby gonzo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:05 am

We may also want to have some people in capable rigs (or on dirtbikes) riding "sweep" each day, to help people who are stuck or give those who are truly marooned a lift out.
gnarseeyuh
kitten
Local Gambler Location:

Postby gnarseeyuh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:12 am

gonzo wrote:Major support for your comments about respecting the land. This is a beautiful but fragile area, and all of us participants need to enforce Leave No Trace practices on ourselves and each other.

We may want to add an emergency fire extinguisher to the list of mandatory equipment, both for our safety and to lower the risk to the land.

I want to keep the mandatory list to a minimum, but a fire extinguisher is a great idea considering the carnage these rigs will encounter. Not very expensive and probably really useful in the event of it being necessary. Thanks for that idea.

gonzo wrote:We may also want to have some people in capable rigs (or on dirtbikes) riding "sweep" each day, to help people who are stuck or give those who are truly marooned a lift out.

With regard to the follow rigs, I have a couple interested friends who run nice newish diesel trucks, but I will not be advertising that type of help, especially not before their commitment is set in stone. Participants ought to plan on zero assistance beforehand, and if the follow rig crews show up, then that's all bonus. This is in the works though, as I'd like every measure possible to not have stranded rigs out there for any reason as a result of this run.

98 2d XJ 4.0L | 94 ZJ 5.2L co-project | 02 Polaris RMK 800 | 01 XR400 |351W Foxbody sleeper in progress
TahoeGamblin
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Sierra Nevada/NorCal

Postby TahoeGamblin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Out barn find Scrambler wants to come, but she's $1500 over budget and needs work on pretty much every component.
gnarseeyuh
kitten
Local Gambler Location:

Postby gnarseeyuh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:23 pm

A scrambler would be fucking radical...and because I'm a jeep guy, I won't reward your over budgeted rig with a bowling ball. I'm going to have to think of a creative penalty (just for you!) for quadrupling the $500 guideline though... I imagine something ridiculous when you arrive at camp.

...anyways, back on topic, questions, thoughts, input on the above?

TahoeGamblin
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Sierra Nevada/NorCal

Postby TahoeGamblin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Yeah, sorry to go off topic. I think the outlined rules are good overall, and I agree a fire extinguisher should be a mandatory item. (and I see the edit added it)

I'm a weather nerd and a radio geek, we will get along fine.
WunderMonkey
kitten
Local Gambler Location:

Postby WunderMonkey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Solid rules. I really appreciate the respect the land ethic. Critical for me.
I vote for aluminum cans with pennies in them to be super glued inside rigs that egregiously violate rules or spirit of the all mighty Gambler.
Thanks!

Return to “Sierra Nevada”