Dual build for OG - OR Gambler 500 2018

Fordman1
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Portland, OR

Dual build for OG - OR Gambler 500 2018

Postby Fordman1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 am

This build will be for my fourth OG Oregon Gambler 500 run. Sounds like the Danger Ranger is resting in an impound yard in CA or may be crushed by now. I have been eyeing two cars in my neighbors driveway for the last few years and finally made him an offer. Jacob (of the First year Danger Ranger, Monster Nova, Donk Crown Vic and Pinzgauer fame) gets the 1987 Chevy Sprint(er) which was about 50hp and got about 65 mpg when brand new. That isnt running yet but hopefully very soon. Not sure how big of tires over the current 12 incher wheels it will run. I procured a 1992 Volvo 240 wagon that had tranmission problems. An overdrive solenoid delete kit may have fixed it. The plan for it is to lift using jeep cherokee front coils in the back and modifying the struts in front. That is about the plan as it sits for now. Best thing? The price was $500 for both until we offered to clean up his scrap metal which he gave us and then knocked off another $100. So each is starting at $200!
Fordman1
kitten

Re: Dual build for OG - OR Gambler 500 2018

Postby Fordman1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am

We got the Sprint loaded onto the trailer only using reverse since the clutch is toast. A new coil was all it took to get the Sprint running. My father in law had some studded snow tires for a Caravan I think that he gifted us and just happen to have the same bolt pattern as the Chevy/Suzuki so it is now wearing 13s and looking tough. The volvo got an oil change/once over from a Portland Volvo shop and passed with flying colors so next up is modifications. Lights, charging ports, stereos, lift and tires. Looking like P235/75r15s for the Volvo!
Fordman1
kitten

Postby Fordman1 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 am

Volvo got the gauges fixed, reat seat latch fixed, vacuumed, picked up a skid plate from IPD with some other parts. Biggest change thus far was pulling out the seat, gluing the foam back together with 77 3m spray adhesive and then wrapping it with an old pair of jeans before putting it back together. That plus the new seat grid raised the seating position 6". Wheels and all suspension parts are in the garage, so just need tires and a weekend to throw all the parts at it. The Sprint needs a clutch at bare minimum and we will be ready to roll. oh and pull all the studs from the free tires.
Fordman1
kitten

Postby Fordman1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:54 am

The Volvo survived and was triumphant in making it down to Chemault and back. Even made multiple trips up and down trails that had punished previous year's Gambler rigs of mine. We spent most of our time helping out other Gamblers so it did what it needed to do, including parts runs and moving stranded gamblers. More HP needs to be dialed in for future runs, as well as more aggressive tires. All in all, an epic weekend!

Return to “Build Threads”