#Send 1988 Ford Festiva cause Gambler's aren't 4X4

Tuff
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Utah

#Send 1988 Ford Festiva cause Gambler's aren't 4X4

Postby Tuff » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm working on my second Gambler rig. My first was a 2000 Plymouth Neon that I picked up from a friend after his reverse went out. We ran the 1st Utah Gambler 500 and failed to finish. It was a complete disaster but fun as hell. Our biggest problem was the tires. Turns out the Rocky desert roads shred crappy road tires, who knew?!?!
Well now it's time to introduce my second build. Meet #Send. Named for the paint job that it came with. It's a 1988 Ford Festiva that runs great. Image
After getting it home and getting it jumpstarted I took it to some local trails to welcome it to it's new existence. It did decent for running on a spare donut and the alternator barely keeping up with the sparkers despite the rpms.Image
Now the work begins. I discovered the alternator was original and only cranking out 6 watts. The battery was also completely trashed. I took the oil soaked Alternator and had it rebuilt at generator exchange in West Jordan Utah. They said the brushes were non-existent and told me to try to keep it from getting anymore oil on it in the future. According to them oil is the #1 cause of alternator failure.
It's been almost a week and the Alternator is back but not installed. The Festiva is on jackstands and I've stripped the interior except for the dashboard. None of the seats are going back in because they are trash and the back seat won't be needed any further. It will instead give me room for a rack to haul Gambler Minibikes.
Tomorrow my project begins to upgrade the suspension and brakes. The Donner car is a 1995 Ford Aspire. By swapping to Aspire brakes and suspension I'll gain around 2" of lift, 3X the braking power and a very common lug pattern allowing for larger rims so I can run bigger tires. I'll add some photos from the process as I go.
Owner operator of Patty's Revenge-ABG #Jeepoffthestreet
Tuff
kitten
Local Gambler Location: Utah

Re: #Send 1988 Ford Festiva cause Gambler's aren't 4X4

Postby Tuff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:56 pm

The Ford Aspire gave up it's suspension and brakes today. It will be mounted on the Festiva within the week. Image
Owner operator of Patty's Revenge-ABG #Jeepoffthestreet

Return to “Build Threads”